- Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
- Video Codec: AVC/MPEG-4
- Resolution: 1080p/24 (23.976Hz)
- Audio Codec: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (48kHz/24-bit), English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
- Subtitles: English SDH
- Subtitles Color: Yellow
- Region: A (Region-Locked)
- Rating: Not Rated
- Run Time: 440 Mins.
- Discs: 2 (2 x Blu-ray)
- Studio: Comedy Central
- Blu-ray Release Date: June 5, 2012
- List Price: $29.98
Click thumbnails for high-resolution 1920X1080p screen captures
(All TheaterByte screen captures are lightly compressed with lossy JPEG at 100% quality setting and are meant as a general representation of the content. They do not fully reveal the capabilities of the Blu-ray format)
Comedy Central’s half-hour sitcom Workaholics taps into the Millennial generation’s sensibilities with its sardonic comedy merged with the slacker mentality inherited from Generation X. Following a group of three roommates, Anders, Blake and Adam (Anders Holm, Blake Anderson, Adam DeVine) who were friends since high school and now all work together at a small telemarketing firm, the series generally follows the rules of basic cable alternative comedy with its crude behavior, improvisational style, and emphasis on heavy substance experimentation and drinking. The series is not unlike FX’s The League, only it skews towards a slightly younger crowd, those just entering the workforce and still stuck in a state of suspended adolescence. In its first two seasons, Workaholics is not without its memorable, laugh out loud moments, however, that will most likely make for great YouTube fodder. A prime example is an episode in which the trio get high on mushrooms and make up a song about Catherine Zeta-Jones in Entrapment.
An average sitcom production, Workaholics isn’t going to set the world on fire with its picture quality. The scenes are mostly well lit and there aren’t too many opportunities for different complex lighting schemes or color palettes to really sparkle in HD. With that being said, the overall detail of this production does seem just slightly smooth at times, lacking a little bit of texture, but it works for the material at hand.
While Workaholics is given a lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (48kHz/24-bit) soundtrack, there isn’t much going on with it at all and it really only livens up during the hip hop cut scenes that show off some extended low frequencies. Otherwise, it is a bit of a dry sounding mix with little in the surrounds and some audible crackle now and then in the dialogue.
Season 1 gets the bulk of the extras, with several behind the scenes featurettes, an audio commentary, and bonus “digital originals” featuring the Workaholics dudes hanging out on their roof. Season 2 is limited to an audio commentary, and various extra footage features.
Season 1 (Disc 1):
- Drunkmentary – Cast & Crew Audio Commentary
- Countdown to Vagina-Town: Lead Up to the Series Premiere (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:08:37)
- Deleted Scenes (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:06:57)
- Alternate Takes (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:07:46)
- Cast Interviews
- Meet the Workaholics (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:02:19)
- Office Survival Tips (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:01:11)
- About Workaholics (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:03:22)
- Live at Bonnaroo (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:05:58)
- Extended Catherine Zeta-Jones Song (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:02:26)
- Extended Ders Rap (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:00:49)
- First Look Trailer (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:01:26)
- Digital Originals (1.78:1; 1080p/24):
- Cold Calls
- Cold Calls Steak Knives
- Cubicle Keg Stand
- Pulling Chicks
- The Good Life
- Old Slang
- Good Buzz
- Poop Donut
- Shart Stories:
Season 2 (Disc 2):
- Bloopers (1.78:1; 1080p/24; 00:04:22)
- Alternate Takes & Deleted Scenes (1.78:1; 1080p/24; 00:16:03)
- Behind the Scenes in the Writers’ Room (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:14:43)
The Definitive Word
Workaholics is edgy, cynical, and often times outrageously funny, even when it is being completely inappropriate. Although the underlying concept of the series may not be wholly original, I’m more than certain it will find and sustain an audience assuming it can sustain its level of irreverence.
Additional Screen Captures